Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Downsizing {For the Most Part}

Over the past year I find myself convicted over and over again about how much STUFF I have.  Each time I move to another home and box up my things, I am forced to notice how much I have accumulated, year after year.  I blame time.  I blame Target.  But I need to blame myself alone.  Anyway, didn't Jesus tell a man to sell all he had and follow Him?  Didn't Jesus challenge us to give away one coat if we have two?  I don't want to tell you how many coats I have.
As Dave and I narrow down our housing options and I think about boxing everything up for the fourth house in five years of marriage, I am overwhelmingly compelled to expel.  Gather up everything I haven't used in the past year and sell it.  Or give it away.  I feel weighed down and greedy.  I just have too much.  Too many clothes, too much furniture, and my children have too many toys.
There will be some major downsizing of our things in the next month... but I'm going to confess that our new home might not be one of those things.
Ideally, I want to live simply.  Modestly.  If I imagine my best self, I am living very plainly, in a very humble house.  I am taking only what I need, and I don't need much.  Our home is small.  And I have only one coat.


But, alas,  I am not yet the person I hope to be. I am torn between my ideals and my desires.  Our house may or may not be bigger than the one we already live in, but I am determined to not fill it with stuff.
Here is a list of 100 creative ways you can downsize.

No comments:

Post a Comment