Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Kitchen Before and After

This past week-end Dave and I completed our two-week long budget-friendly kitchen update!  I'm so pleased that we were able to significantly change the look at minimal costs!  
Here's what we did:
1. Built Shelving. See the funky cabinet configuration above the sink?  Dave moved the long cabinets over to match the length of the cabinets on the other side and removed the mysteriously 'short' cabinets.  Then he built beautiful open shelves over the sink with under-cabinet lights.  $100.
1. Painted the oak cabinets.  This involved taking down the cabinet doors and labeling all the hardware so we would know where to put it back.  It involved a good scrubbing, sanding, priming, and three layers of paint (sanding and wiping down between coats!)  It was quite the task, but so worth the affordable cabinet update!  I used "Marscapone" by Benjamin Moore in a strong acrylic/latex paint called "Cabinet Coat"~ a nice alternative to oil based paints (which is supposed to be the most durable for cabinets!) + chalkboard paint for the kids. Total cost: $150.
2.  Removed the hunter green striped wallpaper.  We used my parent's wallpaper solvent and scorer.  Didn't cost us a thing, except for maybe our sanity.  Total pain!
3.  Painted the walls "Agreeable Gray" by Sherwin Williams. $50  
4.  New hardware. Faucet, knobs and pulls from Lowe's: $250
5. Subway Tile backsplash.  Seriously the cheapest tiles Lowe's had: 24cents a piece--> $75
6. Granite laminate adhered to the previous hunter green laminate: we've had real granite in our past three houses, and I must confess that this laminate looks so much like the real thing! We bought a few sheets on clearance: $100.
7. Replace red glass shade in nook for an old Pottery Barn shade we had.  We may have violated some electrical codes to do this.  But again- didn't cost us a thing and it made such a huge difference in the nook!
TOTAL COST: about $725!!!
Here are the before and after photos:
The chalkboard wall is a huge hit!
Surprise!  There's a pocket door between the kitchen and formal dining area!  I'm wondering what to hang above it...
Maybe these whimsical plates from T.J. Maxx???  

A close up of the new laminate.  Dave did such an awesome job installing it!




11 comments:

  1. Looks great! and I love those plates.:) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great jobs! EXCEPT the butterfly plates...
    Loosing my appetite.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely, lovely!!! Very nice!! Hope you enjoy your new home. Oh, love the chalkboard wall, tell me if it is really messy...I was thinking about doing one in the schoolroom. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice! You guys did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO AWESOME! Love the tile! So impressed Jen! Come over and help in my kitchen next!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing J Lee!! You have such style!! love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend Lisa, who is a friend of yours, sent me over here to look at your reno. Wow! I love the cabinets and the dark hardware! We just recently switched from dark trim and doors to white...now to convince the hubs to do the kitchen cabinets too. I think I will show him yours!

    Thanks for sharing! If you ever have a chance, you can visit my little blog at www.twotinytowheads.com. I am just getting started so it really is little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kitchen is just beautiful, Jennifer! So bright and fresh! Reminds me of Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! It is so inviting - it is giving me ideas (for Todd!)....My favorites are the new sink and the chalkboard wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all of the kind words! It really was a lot of work, but so satisfying! As for the chalk-board wall... it can be a little messy, but I love it! I keep control of the chalk and only bring it out when I'm working in the kitchen. Using it only at special times keeps it from getting old for the kids, and it also keeps them busy and allows me to keep an eye on them while I work! I also just love the contrast of the white-on-black artwork in my white kitchen! It's like always having this ever-changing avant-garde artwork in the space! The paint is also tough and great to have in a high-traffic area. I recommend it!

    ReplyDelete