Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Girlie Food Meal of the Week: Chicken Seashell Salad

I first had this chicken salad at a baby shower (thanks Jill & Amy!)  I couldn't stop eating it.  I hoped no one was looking and went up for seconds three times. 
I think what makes this chicken salad so amazing is that it's got this sweet tangy bite from the fruit, and then this warm, salty taste from the nuts and almond extract.  It's almost dessert-like.  Just the way mama likes it! :-)


What's in it:
1 1/2 cup seashell pasta
1/4 cup cashews
3 boneless chicken breasts (cooked)
3 oz. pineapple tidbits, juice reserved
2 small Gravenstein or Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and diced
3/4 cup chopped celery
3 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon almond extract



What to do with it all:
Cook macaroni in a large pan of boiling water until al dente.  Drain and rinse.  Set aside.  Place nuts in a dry skillet.  Toast over medium heat, turning frequently, until nuts are fragrant and lightly browned.  In a large bowl combine pasta, chicken, pineapple, apples, celery, mandarine oranges and nuts.  In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, reserved pineapple juice (not all, but gradually to taste) and almond flavoring.  Stir into pasta mixture, and mix well.  Chill.  Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment