There are many ways churches serve communion, and at our church, a couple stands in the front next to a table with the bread and the wine and the congregation lines up and one-by-one receives first the bread from one person, and then the 'wine' from the other person. When our pastor e-mailed Dave earlier in the week asking if we would serve communion, we both slightly grimaced. Us? In front of all those people? And weren't we supposed to say something? We knew it was an honor, yet reluctantly said 'yes'.
And yes, we were supposed to say something. I was to look into each person's eyes as they took a piece of bread and say, "Christ's body, broken for you." And Dave was to say as they dipped their bread in his chalice, "Christ's blood, shed for you."
We were both surprised at how powerful the experience was...
I choked up with every other person I served and could barely get out the words. Conviction hit me as I realized how often I am irritated, judgmental, or disgusted with my fellow human beings, and yet how each of us are created in God's image. Each one of us willed into being by God himself. No one a mistake. No one without hope. Not one of us outside of the realm of God's saving grace. I broke inside, humbled.
Now comes an intimidating stranger... Christ's body broken for you.
A beauty worthy of my envy... Christ's body broken for you.
Could this have been the person irritating me with their driving?.. Jesus Christ, broken for you.
The boy with tattoos down both arms... Christ's body broken for you.
A mother, a child, a grandfather, old, young, fat, thin, tall, short... Christ's body broken and bruised for you.
My glassy eyes looking into theirs. I'm sorry I haven't been forgiving when the God of the Universe has lowered himself, but his own creation has stood proudly.
In having the chance to bless others and remember what Christ did for them I was blessed. And as I go out today into life, encountering all types of people, I am challenging myself not to loose patience or judge anyone, but to bless them while remembering in my heart, Christ's body broken for YOU.

No comments:
Post a Comment