Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Meal of the Week: Spaghetti and Meatball {Surprise!}

This summer I have been discovering so many great, fresh, rustic dishes and I plan on eventually sharing them all with you!  I've been trying to veer away from 'comfort foods' and cook with more fresh vegetables and simple but delicious ingredients.  Last night I made meatballs for our spaghetti with a surprise ingredient inside: freshly cooked butternut squash! The recipe was a variation of Jessica Seinfeld's meatballs from  her popular cook book: Deceptively Delicious (this book is a must-have if you ask me~ with or without kiddos!) The squash is subtle way to add some flavor and vitamins to your spaghetti. The recipe for the meatballs alone is below, and my variation is in parenthesis.

InGrEdieNts
*1/2 lb lean turkey (or ground beef)
*1 c (Italian) bread crumbs
*1/2 c butternut squash puree (i just used roasted squash w/o pureeing it)
*1 clove garlic, minced (didn't have any- still tasted good)
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/4 tsp pepper

InStRuctIons
(taken from Deceptively Delicious)
Butternut Squash Puree:
"Prep: Cut off the stem, cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
Cook: Roast the halves on a cookie sheet, flesh-side down, at 400° for 45-50 minutes."

Meatballs:
"In a large bowl, mix the turkey, bread-crumbs, butternut squash puree, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper until well combined.  Shape the mixture into 1-inch (2-inch are fun!) meatballs and place on a sheet of waxed paper or aluminum foil."

I browned the meatballs in a frying pan with a drop of olive oil, stirring occasionally.  Then I parted ways from the original directions and stuck them in the oven for 15 minutes to cook the rest of the way.  I also took a short cut and used Ragu~





JP slurps an organic noodle.
You might notice the meatballs are looking a little crispy... because, I -er like mine a little 'caramelized...' or maybe I left them in the oven a little too long??? Either way, the squash kept them nice and moist and flavorful!
*P.S. Side of grilled corn and zucchini! Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment