Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Meal of the Week: Baked Spetsai

A few months ago I decided I wanted to my family to eat more fish, and so I asked around for some interesting fish recipes.  This Greek recipe for Baked Spetsai was sent to me from a friend in Montreal.  The zesty sauce is incredible and takes the "fishiness" out of the fish :-)  You could probably get away with baking chicken in the sauce and serving it with pasta or rice.

2 lbs fish fillets (cod, halibut, snapper, haddock, mullet etc)

1 lemon, juice of
salt & pepper
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. sugar
freshly ground pepper
bread crumbs (I use italian bread crumbs, or quickly make my own by toasting bread until it's deep golden brown and crumbling it up...)
1 cup chopped, fresh parsley

Wash fish, pat dry, and place in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Sauce: Combine tomatoes, wine, oil, garlic, sugar and freshley ground pepper in a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes. Sprinkle fish with a layer of bread crumbs, follwoing with a layer of parsley and sauce. Repeat. End with a layer of bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment