Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Old Fash'n Cake Smash'n



Miss Jane Bradley of www.janebradleyphotography.com, took these photos in the backyard one sunny afternoon in May to commemorate Ezra's first birthday.  She had suggested a "smash the cake" photo shoot~ sort of a play on the "trash the dress" photo-shoot trend now done after weddings.  I still wanted to squeeze in some 'formal' photos of the kids in their dress-up clothes (I borrowed shirts and ties from a friend). We pulled some dinning room chairs outside to set the stage.  Then we transitioned to some wheel-barrow shots, balloon shots, and finally allowed the kids to dig-in to their eNORmous cupcakes! We decorated the fence with handmade banners borrowed from another friend and a paper crown for the birthday boy. I love how Ezra went at the cupcake with absolutely no inhibition, whereas JP carefully licked the frosting on his. I promised myself that I would take away the cupcakes after five minutes to limit the sugar/food-coloring intake, but it was too late: Ezra's was obliterated beyond all recognition with only smeared frosting left and a few traces of cake.  JP had barely scratched the surface of his frosting. ☺
After enjoying the cupcakes, the kids got cleaned up in a little metal bathtub that Jane brought for the shoot.  We put bubbles and rubber ducks in the water to make it even more appealing (as if water isn't fun enough!)  I stood in the background and blew bubbles, held sippy cups, and generally acted stupid so the kids would smile :-) Since it was near noon, Jane shot most photos in the shade.  Ezra couldn't handle the cold water so there are only a few of him in the tub.  JP, on the other hand, pushed through the pain barrier in order to play with those ducks.  When it was finally time for me to pull him out he put up a fight (NOT pictured ;-)
It was a fun afternoon, and I had such a great time hanging out with Jane as we set-up and she took these fun-filled and vintage-flavored pictures.  The whole session lasted a little over an hour.  And best of all:: I have photos I will cherish FOREVER!











No comments:

Post a Comment